Friday, January 27, 2012

FTF - Coffee

Today's Fair Trade Friday isn't going to focus on a particular company.  Instead, I'd like to bring up a specific product instead, a product that makes my mornings so much brighter.  A product that keeps me from falling asleep after Lexi has requested watching ANOTHER episode of Blue's Clues.  That product is coffee.  Now, there are a lot of Fair Trade coffee companies (which is Awesome!), so I thought I could focus on just the coffees available at your local Wal-Mart.  

Sam's Choice, Decaffeinated 
Some nights, I want coffee, like those nights that I make breakfast for dinner (because I'm lazy, or because it's awesome?  You decide.).  However, drinking coffee at night is usually a recipe for lack of sleep.  Thankfully, one of Wal-Mart's in-house brands, Sam's Choice, makes a really tasty Decaf blend.  And, all Sam's Choice coffee's are Fair Trade certified.  They're not available on the Wal-Mart website, but I haven't been in a store yet that doesn't carry the brand.

Now, my mother-in-law recently bought one of these bad boys:

Keurig Brewing System
This coffee maker, excuse me *cough cough* brewing system is really pretty cool.  It makes single serving beverages, such as coffee, hot cocoa, and tea, with these cute little packages you can get called K-Cups.  There are K-Cups of almost every type and variety, including a blend by Newman's Own that is also Fair Trade Certified.  I've had it before, and it's actually really good.  I say actually because it's an extra bold blend, and normally I don't like my coffee to be bold.  This is the exception, 'cause this stuff is awesome!
Newman's Special Blend
There was one more company that I ran across on the Wal-Mart website, called Full Circle Exchange, that I'm actually really interested in trying.  They're a socially conscious company that has the empowerment of women around the world at the core of their mission.  Pretty cool stuff.  And at only $7.88 a bag, plus $0.97 for shipping, their coffee is pretty affordable too!

Full Circle Exchange French Roast coffee

There's a coffee shop here in Fayetteville that are worth checking out as well, if you haven't already.  It's called Mama Carmen's Espresso Cafe, and it's pretty awesome.  If you want to know why, you should check out their website and see the story behind it all!

Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment: