Friday, December 9, 2011

FTF - One Mango Tree

Have you ever heard of Uganda?  Well, it's a country in East Africa, also known as the "Pearl of Africa."  It is a land-locked country bordered by other countries such as Sudan, Kenya, and the Congo.  It shares a large portion of Lake Victoria with some surrounding countries.  The official languages are English and Swahili.

Uganda has been torn apart by a war that has taken the lives of thousands, displaced more than two million, and destroyed the once-vibrant local culture and economy.  The Northern portion of the country has been devastated by more than twenty years of armed conflict.  Yet despite living through such painful circumstances, these women have a reason to smile.



Meet Aloyo Gloria and Lawill Margret.  These beautiful faces are two of the many artisans that contribute to a fair trade company known as One Mango Tree.  They are given a chance to not only earn a fair wage, but to learn a trade that can support them and their families as they rebuild their lives from years of war and the ensuing poverty.  On top of that, One Mango Tree also provides bicycles for their tailors to commute to and from work, and provide education scholarships not only for their own children, but for the orphaned children that these women have brought into their homes.

One Mango Tree is doing amazing things, and a big part of what they do is to provide a market for the beautiful clothing and accessories that their artisans produce.  Each piece is also labeled with the artisan's name, so you can put a face to the product, and see whose life you're helping to change.  There are so many great products on their website, so it's hard for me to choose my favorites, but I'll make a hearty attempt!

Party Dress

First up, there's this dress.  It's such a great and versatile piece to have in your closet, and would just be so easy to center an outfit around.  I'm thinking boots, tights and a funky patterned cardigan for fall/winter, or strappy sandals and a statement necklace for summer, and you're set.  I really do love getting dressed, and I love it more when it's just that easy!

Maxi Tank Dress
I really just want to say that I love this dress.  It's just another fun piece that I'm pretty sure my closet actually NEEDS!

Lunch Bag
And, seriously, how awesome is this lunch bag?  It's funky, quirky, and just makes me want to have any excuse to have a picnic (despite the fact that it's 30 degrees outside!), just so I can carry this bag around.

There are so many more great pieces on the One Mango Tree website, and I'd highly suggest you check them out!  Plus, today and tomorrow they're offering free shipping on orders over $50, and free shipping PLUS a free gift tote (because who's going to turn down free stuff?) on orders over $100!  This company is awesome, which I may have already said, and they're definitely worth checking out.


I inexplicably feel the need to apologize for the extreme amount of exclamation points in this post, as well as the overuse of the words "awesome" and "funky."  It's just that I get carried away, and I'm sure you'll understand.  You're just super awesome and funky like that!!!

1 comment: